Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Donation$ : Is Ca$h a Four-Lettered Word?

Fall’s a comin’. Yes, school resumes, Sunday School commences and hopefully the followers start refilling the pews and the offering plates. Fall, particularly October and November, is the time of year many churches run their annual stewardship campaign. It’s often an uncomfortable time, squirmy time, for some folk; especially the clergy because talking about money makes us uncomfortable.


Let’s push away from fall and look at where you are now. How’s the money doing? Is your giving, personal and corporate, on a positive trend? You don’t need me to lecture on our current economic climate. But are you doing everything you can to help your congregation GIVE?


Credit card and debit donation IS something your church needs to consider. We live in a digital age where paper money and checkbooks may not always be a hands-grasp away. People carry cards. As a consumer, I actively chose to purchase from a card, be it a debit card or credit card. I ALWAYS have a record of my purchases. I ALWAYS have my money accepted. And I Always can keep track of my spending trends online. ….EXCEPT… when it comes to church. I write a check WHEN, I’m in the pew. I want to emphasize WHEN to you as I travel quite a bit so I’m not always in my home pew. My giving is current because I make it a priority in my life. But what about my pew mate that doesn’t?


Do you encourage direct deposit? Do you have the ability to accept a credit card? Or a debit card? Accepting these forms of payments could also come in handy for those church bazaar’s, children & youth trips, couple’s weekends. Start to think about it. Does your church help people give?


Two of my client’s currently use each of these methods: One, direct deposit; the other, credit cards. St James Episcopal Church in Midvale, Utah (http://tiny.cc/Zz8rq ) provides a link to download a direct deposit form allowing funds from a local bank to directly deposit contributions from participants in this program. They also provide an ongoing link to anyone wishing to fill out pledge form anytime throughout the year. What a concept; allowing persons the ability to commit to giving at any time during the year, not just at stewardship/pledge time.


All Saints Episcopal Church in Salt Lake City (http://www.allsaintsslc.org/ ) asked me for a quote to implement online donations on their website last fall. They took that dramatic step this summer and now have a couple of areas on their website where users can donate.


This may be an option for your church to consider. Before stewardship rolls around, as you are forming Sunday School classes, maybe consider a time where this discussion can take place with your congregants. Would it be helpful? Is it a right thing for your church? I personally like Paypal’s program where you are only charged per usage but if you’re serious, shop around and learn. This needs research and prayer. It may be a good option for your congregation.



No comments: